Ground troup Friendly Fire

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

PA-Bluestone

Ground troup Friendly Fire

Post by PA-Bluestone »

hello everybody!
first i want to thanks all the people working hard on this project,
it add seow much fun and interesting things in IL2! :wink:

i played several different SEOW campaigns now and
i have some time some strange friendly fires :
i think it was cause by the ending position of tanks at the end of their movement,
sometimes (but not always) they finished their movement in one column or sometimes, 2 columns...
and you can imagine what happen if they fire at target in this position! n°2 kill N°1, N°3 kill N°2, N°4 kill N°3... :roll:
is it a way to avoid that problem?
(for example a line position at the end of the movment?)
the problem could be very important when you have lot of tanks in the same area!
i can imagine that it's Entirely IL-2 that cause that problem,
but who knows perharps someone has the solution?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Bluestone,

Welcome! Yes, other people have noticed that problem. It occurs because tanks in IL-2 ( and AAA) are not smart, so they will happily shoot through friendlies towards enemy targets. The more friendlies you have in a small area, the more likely you are to see friendly kills, as you describe.

SEOW cannot prevent this happening, but it can be minimized by using smaller platoons, i.e. 1 or 2 tanks rather than 3 or 4. The campaign designer can set the full strength platoon sizes by editing the Object_Specifications table BEFORE loading the template.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer