Zoom in SEOW mission planner

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

=gRiJ=Petr

Zoom in SEOW mission planner

Post by =gRiJ=Petr »

How difficult would it be to allow zoom in in the seow mission planner like you can in the full mission builder? If at all possible off course.

The reason I ask is that allowing a further zoom in would give ground commander much more control over the ground units path, leading to less problems because of bad plots (houses and such).

Thanks!
Cheers,
Petr
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Very difficult and time-consuming for web deployment! Many hundreds of MB of image files required.

Cheers,
4S
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

=gRiJ=Petr

Post by =gRiJ=Petr »

Rats! Would love to have this feature but I understand why it is not there.

Cheers!
Petr
EJGr.Ost_Chamel

Post by EJGr.Ost_Chamel »

Maybe something else would be easier but nearly as effective. I think, that it would be great to have a possibility, to plan a mission across several different sector- and/or detail-maps. For example start the "Create new mission" process in a sector map, navigate the unit close to a town, then switch to the detail map of that town and finish the mission planning process in the detail map with much better resolution!
I have to admit though, that I have no idea how difficult this might be to implement! Image

Chamel
II/JG3K.Brandle

Post by II/JG3K.Brandle »

S!

Check out the Prokhorovka and Stalingrad sectors. City Maps like Kalach Area and Subbitino are zoomed in to allow more focused action. Topography is visible. These maps were created by Hawk5 with battalion level combat actions in mind. We should consider making these zoomed in maps DURING our campaigns where the forces come together. They can then be added to the campaign within an hour and forwarded to Shades' map library and pretty soon we will have all the zoom in capacity we need. The full sector High Res maps are great but a smaller map will load quicker, making it easier to plan with a higher ping to the server you are planning on. Air missions need the biggest maps but ground missions need the most zoomed in maps.
esmiol

Post by esmiol »

i think it is possible for little map.... look the ardenne MAP... there are a whole map sector zoom.... but it is certainly very hard to do in a bigger map.
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

To do a true zoom, you need to capture the entire map at the the highest level of detail ever likely to be required. Then you can use the image zooming libraries that are now available to serve whatever resolutions are required by the commander (interactively). Each time the resolution is changed, ALL campaign information visible on the map must be re-positioned accordingly, including partially completed waypoints, bridges, factories, units etc etc. This is hard work to get right, even without integrating the zooming libraries with the MP.

What we would end up with is a 21st century solution to a 1940s problem.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer