Playability Limit Bug?

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

USN_Opus

Playability Limit Bug?

Post by USN_Opus »

Hello there...

About 27 hours from our first full squadron mission and the guy planning the allied missions came to me with an odd problem.

We're running three missions (8am, 9am and 10am).
Plane limit set to allied=40.

10 missions plotted for 8am with 37 planes
1 mission plotted for 9am with 2 planes
1 mission plotted for 10am with 2 planes

He wanted to plot another mission at 9am but got a error pop-up stating:
"This request to move 4 aircraft will exceed playable limits! Etc..."

I went in to check an sure enough the error message was generated, regardless of time. 1-3 planes was fine obviously as it was still under the cap.

Deleting the missions at 9am and 10am had no effect.
Trying to fudge the time/quantity didn't work.

Any reason why the plane limit playability would do this?

I had no problems plotting the axis planes (about 24 mission and 80 planes over 3 turns).

The workaround was to just boost the plane limit-up...

Not a critical problem but if the mission count is spilling over into other times, this could be a problem down the road.

I know that the missions are not being planned sequentially. Could this have caused the spillage?

Thanks!
=69.GIAP=MALYSH

Post by =69.GIAP=MALYSH »

I don't quite understand. You've got a limit at 40, you've planned 37 and you can still plan 1-3 but not 4. Deleting other flights at other times had no effect. Sounds like everything is working perfectly. :P
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 »

Hi Opus,

Do you have any topup flights coming in?

These are included in the airframe limits as well but are not shown in mission plans once placed. This can catch you if you forgot you planned them.

The important thing to check is Mission Planning Tools icon on the left side of the MP screen that shows how many airframes and ground unit movements are available for planning.
You need to check this in a view of the whole map and not just one sector so all plans are visible.

I can see from previous posts that this is a 4 hour mission and the limit is 40 airframes. I'm not clear on at what point the error pops up. You have the 37 airframes plotted for 8:00AM. This of course leaves 3 available for planning assuming there are no topup flights.

Are you unable to plot any further flights after the 37 at 8:00AM and you have confirmed there are no topup flights planned as well?

Cheers,
Hawk 5
USN_Opus

Post by USN_Opus »

MALYSH

Missions are based on the length of a "turn". We have a 40 plane limit in effect per side, per turn. As we are running three turns in succession, we should be able to plan to have 120 planes up over the course of the three missions.

So, the cap IS working correctly for the first mission but for some reason, when the launch time is set to +1 hour (mission lengths are 1 hour), the cap from the previous turn is being applied to the next turn.

To illustrate this in the extreme, if your turns are an hour long and you are using a 40 plane cap per mission, you could plot all your turns for a 24hr period which would be about 960 planes. SE has no problem with that. I am controlling the axis planes and had no problems setting my first three turns with a total of about 70 planes.

Main problem is the cap effecting other turns, not the cap in the first mission, which is working.

Hawk
We don't have any top-up flights coming in but there is a four plane flight landing from a SP in the first turn. These flights do show-up in the mission list. This flight was added by the admin (me) to fix a non-flyable problem with a B-25 version we had initially used in FMB.

Roger on the full map view.

Purchasing is turned off.

Negative on the "4 hour mission". We are planning three, one hour missions with start times at 8am, 9am and 10am.

As for when the pop-up occurred...Commander A planned 10 mission for turn one totaling 33 planes. Commander B planned a two plane mission in turn two and a two plane mission in turn three. Total planes now at 37. If a new mission was planned for 4 planes, the pop-up error appeared.

Even if you set the quantity to one and then set the ETA to 9am (turn two) and then switched the plane count to four, you still got the pop-up.

Sorry if my explanations are a bit fuzzy and long winded...still learning all the correct context and diction for SE.

Thanks for you answers! Looking forward to more!
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi guys,

Trying to get my thinking cap on ... I remember fixing a bug in the playability code (and pilot roster tool) recently, but I cannot remember the details. Since the new SEOW is very close to release now I will try to test this "successive mission playability bug" this weekend so that it can be fixed for the download version.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

USN_Opus

Post by USN_Opus »

Cool Shades...since there is an easy workaround, not really a problem...

The first SE night went really well and everyone like it a lot. The conclusion will be next Thursday and then we're probably going to run a full-time SE campaign.

Fantastic bit of software my friend! You made 12 virtual pilots very happy tonight.