may i offer my help for train?

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

esmiol

may i offer my help for train?

Post by esmiol »

hello :)

i'd like to know if i may offer my help to finalise the train support?

what can i do to offer my help? what's are the problems encounter?

i really like to help you
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Esmiol,

Many thanks for your offer. I have been thinking about this during the Aces campaign over the last two months. I think the quickest route to having train support in SEOW would be to view rail movement in asimilar fashion to ground movement, except that trains would permanently be forced to use Strict Mode over the railway network, i.e. they would be slaved to use railways at all times.

To make this happen, we would need the railway data in the SEDB to be transformed into the same format as the Highways and Highway_Intersections table (so that the Complex Ground Movement code could be applied to railways too). I am not sure whether it would be easier to transform the railway data into the new format, or just recapture all the railway data from scratch.

Apart from that effort, some DCS coding needs to take place to ensure that stationary trains are aligned with the track, etc. Just about everything else required (MP support, freight support etc) is already in place but inactive.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

esmiol

Post by esmiol »

ok shades... i will look that...

if i understand te problem with train is that we can't give him a way to follow.

but the train should follow station to station way.

i forward you my idea ASAP
II/JG77Hawk_5

Post by II/JG77Hawk_5 »

In my many discussions regarding railways I have always liked the idea of being able to stop trains at any point on the line to load and unload. The commander then has the choice to move forces close to the frontline if he choses to increase risk to his trains from artillery or aircraft attack.
The difference of stopping at a railway station would be to reduce loading/unloading time by an hour or 2.
In mission planning I imagine very few waypoints in planning and only used to map out the route where alternate routes are available to the final destination.

S!
Hawk 5