What is enough tobe called a "landing"

The common meeting place for SEOW veterans and noobs alike, sharing feedback, ideas and experiences.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

DD_Friar

What is enough tobe called a "landing"

Post by DD_Friar »

Hello,

Over at the dangerdogz.com we are just about to start our seow based on the italy map. I have set "Forced landings" on. A squad mate asked me the question last night "what is deemed to have landed"

If i crash land losing my undercarriage or a wing but am not killed, is this enough for "a landing", and thus retain the aircraft for the next mission

if i crash land in a field before the end of the mission, is this too deemed good enough to retain the plane, or because it was not at an airfield, i am recorded as KIA and 1 plane struck from the stocks
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Frior,

It all depends on what IL-2 reports. If IL-2 logs "landed" or "emergency landed" or "bailed" then the pilot will survive under the "Enforce Pilot Landings" option. If not, then the pilot will be marked as KIA and the airframe will be destroyed.

Please note that the on-screen text messages displayed in game are often different to what IL-2 actually logs to the logfile. SEOW ignores on-screen messages and works entirely off the logfile.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

DD_Friar

Post by DD_Friar »

Sorry to re-open a long dormant thread but I would like clariffication on something.

Some of the guys are confused about why they see to have lost their airframe when they had landed at the end of the last mission.

What are the rules in the seow code for deciding if a plane should be lost or not.

I acknowledge you say it reads the log file but if someone lands, leaves the runway, comes to a stop, turns off the engine and then a) quits the game b)ejects or c) stays sitting in the cockpit what will happen to the airplane for the next mission.

Thanks in advance
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Frior,

It depends on whether you are using the "Enforce Pilot Landings" option.

If you are not using this option, then all pilots are assumed to have landed safely at their planned destinations UNLESS there is a "crashed" or "destroyed" or "shot down" message for their aircraft in the log file. If they were due to land on an aircraft carrier that is already sunk, then they will lose their planes then as well.

If you are using this option, then all pilots and their aircraft will be counted as lost UNLESS there is a "landed" or "emergency landed" message for their respective aircraft in the log file.

The big important note here is that IL-2 can give conflicting indications of aircraft staus to pilots during the mission. That is, messages written to the screen can sometimes be different to messages written to the log file. SEOW always uses the log file as the authoritative source of aircraft status.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer

BS8th_Bulau

Post by BS8th_Bulau »

It would be relatively simple to test these various scenarios, and then look at the eventlog.lst to see what actually gets written there.

If I were to speculate, I would speculate that landing, then bailing out, (your option b), is something your pilots should NOT do. It is a tad confusing, and I'm curious how the game interprets such actions in the eventlog. Bailing out should imply that the airframe is lost, whether the pilot survives or not.

Your option a), disconnecting before the host terminates the mission? Again, I don't know how that gets written to the eventlog, and it's possible that might result in a safe landing not getting recorded. I don't know, but it could be tested. I know that pilots who have disconnected before the host terminates, do not show up on the scoreboard in the game.
102nd-HR-cmirko

Post by 102nd-HR-cmirko »

BS8th_Bulau wrote: <cut>
Your option a), disconnecting before the host terminates the mission? Again, I don't know how that gets written to the eventlog, and it's possible that might result in a safe landing not getting recorded. I don't know, but it could be tested. I know that pilots who have disconnected before the host terminates, do not show up on the scoreboard in the game.
we have had numerous occasions when pilots who landed or got shot down/killed are in the statistics - i can't actually remember any occasion when pilot wasn't in stats if he/she was at the start of mission.....

we fly SEOW on COOP_ded server and never had those kinds of problems you described :)
BS8th_Bulau

Post by BS8th_Bulau »

Okay, so that would indicate that the eventlog has recorded all pilots events, and the stats are based on the contents of the eventlog. I was referring to the ingame scoreboard, (or actually, I think it is the aircraft selection screen that is presented after the mission is done, except it now includes each player's score) that screen will not include any pilot who has disconnected from the server before the mission is over, but that may not have anything to do with what the eventlog contains.

Of course, I am only speculating on the problem that DD_Frior has mentioned, where his pilots make a safe landing, only to discover that they are recorded in the stats as a lost airframe. What might cause that discrepancy?
IV/JG7_4Shades

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

I am not sure what might cause that discrepancy. I am not even sure that it can happen. Frior, we need a documented case of this happening, i.e. a logfile for a campaign where "Enforce Pilot Landings" is OFF and where a pilot's aircraft is registered as lost without a supporting destruction event.

This is fundamental to SEOW. I haven't seen a case of spurious destruction (without a log event) of aircraft before, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

What I have seen before many times are pilots emergency or crash landing and then leaving the game with their planes seemingly OK, only for a "crashed" event to be logged. (don't crash your plane)

I have even seen aircraft smoking/burning on the ground with no log event recorded! (don't leave a plane half-destroyed)

I have personally shot an aircraft down, seen the explosion on the ground, got a "Enemy Aircraft Destroyed" message in game, but with no event logged. This happens only very rarely, and there is nothing we can do about it, except blame the game developers.

AFAIK, all of these things are properly handled by SEOW, i.e. it simply takes the logfile record as the truth. Everything else is "misinformation".

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer