Radar Configurable by Campaign Designer ???

For bug reports and fixes, installation issues, and new ideas for technical features.

Moderator: SEOW Developers

Kopfdorfer

Radar Configurable by Campaign Designer ???

Post by Kopfdorfer »

I am wondering whether this is possible.

Clearly SEOW Radar operates independently from any IL2 game properties.
Yet I am unable to find any empirical properties related to it within the SEDB.

First. Am I correct that the SEOW Radar properties are not included within the modifiable SEDB ?

Second. Would it be possible to include them in the modifiable SEDB , to permit the
campaign designer to affect such variables as altitude effectiveness , range effectiveness , IFF ,
and Air to Surface ( AtoS would be ideally linked to Aircraft Types Identified in the Object Specs Table ) ?
I realize that IFF on/off is already included in the SEDCS , but the Properties of its effectiveness are not.

Also it would be very useful to the campaign designer if objects capable of radar function were assignable
within the Object Specifications table as well.

Radar was a very new technology in WW2 , and because of this the parameters of its effectiveness varied
widely between nations , and indeed within specific equipment of a given nation. I think it would be useful
and practical for the campaign designer to be able to differentiate the properties of radar more specifically
than is currently possible.

Kopfdorfer
IV/JG7_4Shades

Re: Radar Configurable by Campaign Designer ???

Post by IV/JG7_4Shades »

Hi Kopfdorfer,
Clearly SEOW Radar operates independently from any IL2 game properties.
This is not exactly true. In HSFX there is a Radar Mod that generates radar contact output every few minutes, based on the number and type of radar detectors in the mission (ships, ChainHome objects etc). The operational specifications for these objects are hard coded in the HSFX source code according to historical parameters, but ignoring things like weather effects etc. The historical operational performance of each radar type is not modelled exactly, but near enough for useful mission characteristics. I was primarily responsible for the Radar Mod but with important contributions from Charlie and FC, and maybe Maraz too.

The radar contact data is written to files by the HSFX server on the host machine. The SEOW Mission Planner (suitably configured) reads these contact files periodically and presents the data on the graphical radar screen according to the radar configuration settings established in the DB Campaign_Settings table, e.g. by altering the checkboxes on the DCS Radar tab.
First. Am I correct that the SEOW Radar properties are not included within the modifiable SEDB ?
You are being a little vague here, you haven't defined what you mean by "properties". In any event there are no configurable settings for radar performance tuning in the Radar Mod for HSFX, so there is no chance that SEOW can alter such settings (they don't exist). To change the in-game operation of the radar would require a reworking of the HSFX Radar Mod at the java level, recompilation etc.
I think it would be useful and practical for the campaign designer to be able to differentiate the properties of radar more specifically than is currently possible.
Agreed, it would be nice. But it is very unlikely that anyone will put together a java mod for HSFX again.

Cheers,
4Shades
IV/JG7_4Shades
SEOW Developer